WHY IS IT NEEDED?
The concepts around Social Emotional Learning (SEL) have become widely accepted as the framework necessary for all other growth and learning to take place, and many Schools and Districts are requiring the incorporation of SEL into the curricula. All SEL curriculum/studies call for a holistic approach focusing on and involving not only the students but also teachers, administrators, families, and communities. It takes a “we’re in this together” attitude and application to embed the benefits of SEL into our schools, community, and world.
We are a team of professionals and citizens committed to partnering with school districts to make their schools work for everyone. We know numerous entities have online resources and ideas for implementation, but the reality is that teachers are already overwhelmed with so much to do. We are the vehicle by which this can be achieved. The term “Mindfulness” is one component of expressing the overall concept of SEL and will be infused throughout the program, language, and culture.
To support Teachers and Administration in implementing the SEL initiative set forth by Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) in participation with the Collaborative for Academic, Social Emotional Learning (CASEL) by working closely and directly with the School’s SEL Team, students, and parents to accomplish the following goals:
- Improve educational learning through mindfulness, concentration, and focus
- Embed social-emotional learning into the curricula
- Improve overall behavior in the classroom, at home, and within the community resulting in a reduction in referrals, detentions, and suspensions
- Manage stress and decrease test anxiety thereby improving standardized testing scores
- Enhance emotional well-being reducing the demand on Guidance Counselor services